Selling up or cleaning up? 10 tips for a top garage sale.
Whether de-cluttering your home and garden for an upcoming sale, or simply cleaning up inspired by the sunny spring weather, a garage sale is a great way to get rid of the old and make room for the new!
- Have a sale with neighbours, friends & family for a larger, more inviting sale and shared workload.
- Involve the kids. who might be inspired to clean their rooms and make some pocket money.
- Be aware of early-birds. who can come knocking the day before or at the crack of dawn on the day.
- Timing’s important. so avoid times when people are away or busy with a big public event.
- What about wet weather? Set up under the carport or in the garage if visible from the street. Otherwise, tarpaulins can be handy.
- Place signs the day before at busy intersections and locally. An ad in the local paper is worthwhile.
- Attract passing trade by placing a huge stuffed toy or piece of furniture, balloons, A-boards, etc, on the nature strip.
- Pre-price items for less haggling, and arrange a float with plenty of change.
- Secure your cash, valuables & home as theft can occur.
- Plan for leftovers, and while it might be tempting to bring them back in, charities might have more use for them than you!