Give your property the winning edge.
With increased affordability and interest rates at record lows, many are taking advantage of current market conditions and moving forward on that long-awaited upgrade or re-location. While buying and selling in the same market procures the same net result, adopting a few simple strategies gives you an even better result! Here are a few tips from our Stockdale & Leggo consultants:
- Set a realistic price based on previous sales, the current market and informed advice from your agent, thereby avoiding a lengthy stay on the market, which makes the property appear stale or essentially flawed in some way.
- Given first impressions are lasting impressions, the external appearance of your home is crucial. Assess, and improve, your property’s ‘curb appeal’, although it’s easy to see your own home through rose-coloured glasses. Your agent can make a more objective assessment and provide further advice.
- Indoors, inspect everything from top to bottom and replace or repair all that’s necessary to create a welcoming environment requiring little or no work.
- Present your home with as much light as possible, either natural sunlight or with high-wattage globes, especially if the home is small and up for sale in the duller winter months.
- Use carefully-placed mirrors to create a sense of more space.
- Enhance your home with flowing air, ambient music, vibrant plants and flowers, and your best tableware, bedding and cushions.
- Clean carpets and curtains and use room deodorisers for freshness.
- De-clutter absolutely everything, from small trinkets to excess furniture, and from cupboards to the garage. In this instance, less is more.
- This goes for pets and pet accessories too. At the very least, they should be outside. No one loves your pet as much as you.
- Consider, with your agent, the most effective method of sale (Auction or Private Sale). While auction generally procures a faster sale, this varies according to the type of property, its location and current conditions.
- Conduct Open for Inspections on weekends, but not on long weekends or when there’s a significant event on.
- Invest in professional, extensive marketing, including photography and a floor plan, which are essential for today’s online advertising.
- Ask your agent what else you might do to attract the most interest and the best price in the shortest amount of time!